Sunday, February 22, 2009

Random Act of Self Indulgence .07

As the Oscars get underway, and we make our own preparations here in Maine with a fried seafood and martini extravaganza, I thought I’d throw out a dash of “awards” news, plus a slightly disturbing tidbit. (Re: the Oscars, the only category I’m a bit flummoxed about is Supporting Actress.... I’d love to see Marisa Tomei win, but Penelope Cruz is the favorite. I guess I call Tomei as the dark horse winner! And I'd fall over if Melissa Leo won Best Actress for Frozen River, a film I beg you to see, but it does seem like it's Kate Winslet's year...)

First, the Independent Spirit Awards on Saturday bestowed honors on Mickey Rourke for his stunning work in The Wrestler, on Melissa Leo for her equally stunning work in Frozen River (I couldn’t be happier with these two wins!), and on Man on Wire for best documentary. This one was a tough call for me, as I did love the film, but I carry a torch of sorts for Werner Herzog, whose Encounters at the End of the World was also up for an award (see my post on it here). Anyway, great news for Rourke who is really very deserving, even being up against Sean Penn who was so stellar in Milk.

KID MOVIES:
The annual Tokyo Anime Awards was swept, more or less, by Hayao Miyazaki’s Ponyo On The Cliff by The Sea, mentioned earlier here on KidsFlix. We can’t wait to see it! An odd thing about these awards, however, is that the Foreign Film prize went to Kung Fu Panda, and after much searching, I couldn’t find a nominees list, so I don’t know for certain if Wall-E was even nominated or not. I did find this on an anime forum:

Poster 1: Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E...I guess that makes sense, Wall-E never did as well in Japan as many American analysts thought it would.

Poster 2: I went to this international competition in China last year, and while doing idle chat with one of the Chinese participants she told me that Kung Fu Panda was one movie that was quite well received on the East, because for once they saw a Western movie that actually got the majority of the Eastern ideas and ways of thinking it uses right, so it was like a novelty for them.

Interesting.

OK, THE DISTURBING TIDBIT:
Here it is: John Boorman (Hope and Glory, Excalibur, Exorcist II, Deliverance) is allegedly heading up a completely computer-animated version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It won’t be a musical. That's about all we know at this point.

I don't know why, but this just leaves me feeling a bit sad.


Onward: Happy Oscar-ing tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here for KidsFlix!