Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Kid Movie News

Yes, I know KidsFlix doesn't normally focus on current films in release -- there are plenty of folks out there doing that -- but K and I saw Night at the Museum II today, and I have to say that the lukewarm reviews (two) that I read were way off base! Honestly, this was as much fun as the first one, I think, and K and I re-hashed favorite scenes over and over again all afternoon. Go see it.

I’m getting ready to get out of town for a while, but am trying to line up some posts for you ... in the meantime, here’s some “around the blogs” news:


Son K was into the “Avatar: The Last Airbender” animated series for a while but that gave way to a mild level of fandom to the series, “Naruto.” He may be interested to know -- we’ll find out -- that there’s an "Airbender" feature film in production, starring a 12-year old Texan in the Airbender role, and Slumdog Millionaire’s Dev Patel will play the bad guy “firebender,” Zuko.

Over at Cinematical, there are reports on Stan Lee and Disney working together to create some “new” superhero films, which sound promising. Nick Ratchet is, by day, a “mild-mannered and bumbling police officer, but in an online game, he's a tough, sneering badass.” Sounds like an updated Clark Kent/Superman story, and there’s nothing wrong with that!


Also from Cinematical, it sounds like there’s a good chance that the amazing Josh Brolin will be starring in a movie about -- wait for it -- the slavery abolitionist John Brown! Elisabeth Rappe writes:

It's the kind of story just begging to be told on the big screen (why Hollywood continues to reboot and remake the 1980s and 1990s instead of digging up stories from the previous century, I'll never know), and frankly it touches on a historical era that has had a lot of relevance this year. Let's hope it happens.

I echo her every sentiment. There are so many amazing true stories out there, waiting to be told. Hollywood is incredibly lazy sometimes.

Bazooka Joe as movie star? Hmmm. I dunno. (Yeah, I can hear about half of you whispering, “Who’s Bazooka Joe?”) The Hollywood Reporter sez Michael Eisner has a project under way featuring the bubble gum marketing icon in a feature film. Weird.



1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that the Bazooka Joe movie will be a little chewy :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here for KidsFlix!